Securing the top Google ranking for relevant keywords is no easy task, and the competition is fierce. But what if there were a way to jump over organic rankings without paying for PPC ads? There is with featured snippets. If you are unfamiliar with the term, featured snippets refer to special blocks of text that appear at the top of Google search engine results pages (SERP’s). These text blocks display answers to common questions in which users ask via search queries. If your website is able to earn a featured snippet, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Authority Building: When people say “I’ll Google it” they generally have a question in mind, and if your website is displayed as the immediate answer to that question, it makes your plumbing company an authority
- Increased Visibility: Having one of your pages marked for a featured snippet propels your website to the very top of SERPs, effectively providing you with the #1 result
- SEO Diversification: Just like utilizing SEO and PPC together gives you multiple chances to attract customers, optimizing your website for featured snippets, along with more traditional SEO methods, gives you additional chances at generating traffic
Google explains more about featured snippets in search on their Search Console Help page. For plumbers, a featured snippet is a prize of sorts, and one that must be earned by proving your worth to Google. Research shows that the vast majority of featured snippets come from websites already in the top 10 of search results for the corresponding keyword. With that in mind, practicing solid SEO fundamentals is an important component to earning a highlighted snippet. Call 877.388.9884 for plumber featured snippets optimization.
How Plumbers Can Generate Featured Snippets
As documented by Google, there is no way to mark your page to be chosen for a featured snippet. Instead, Google programatically selects pages based on a number of factors, most importantly of which is, how effectively a common question is answered. Plumbing contractors can do several things to give their web page the best chance to earn a featured snippet. Some of the optimization techniques we use, include:
- Content Formatting: Plumbing contractors should try formatting their content as a question and answer, so that Google can market the answer portion as a featured snippet
- Keyword Research: Using various keyword research tools like Google Keyword Planner and Moz Keyword Explorer, plumbing contractors can determine services that have low competition for featured snippets
- Reevaluation: If you have content already formatted as a Q and A, reviewing and revising the content to more effectively answer the question gives you a better chance at a featured snippet
Giving yourself a chance is about the best you can do when it comes to highlighted snippets. If your foundation is built upon strong SEO fundamentals, you put yourself in a great position to earn these coveted snippets. Unlike traditional organic results, they are based more heavily on the verbatim language of the page content. While snippets generally come from pages that are otherwise well optimized, this added metric evens the playing field for sites with less inbound links.
Enhanced Content for Plumbing Company Websites
Plumbing companies struggling to crack the top ten for relevant keywords are likely falling short in several categories. For starters, it’s unlikely that your website is structured in a way that is conducive to crawling and indexing. Shorter URL slugs and more comprehensive hierarchy’s can go a long way towards fixing that. The next place to look is at your on page content. If you have low-quality scraped content, or content that is stuffed with keywords, you very likely need a complete content overhaul.
Plumbing websites relying on outdated SEO techniques are damaging their long-term marketability and wasting valuable dollars. What once worked for search engine optimization, no longer does. SEO is always evolving, so what worked a decade ago, may now be considered black-hat SEO, which serves as a detriment to your ranking. Focusing more on great content will help you not only earn featured snippets, but improve your ranking in general. Call 877.388.9884 for featured snippets optimization for plumbing companies.